Professor & Head
Personal webpage : http://facweb.cbcs.ac.in/bkar
PhD, National Institute of Mental health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, India
M. Phil (Medical and Social Psychology), Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi, India
M.A. (Psychology), Lucknow University, Lucknow, India
Cognitive development, Dyslexia, Bilingualism and cognitive control
- Mechanisms of the interaction between bilingualism and cognitive control (funded by the Department of Science and Technology, India under the Cognitive Science Research Initiative)
- Automaticity in reading and visual word form in Hindi and English (in collaboration with Prof. Michael Posner, University of Oregon, USA)
- Spatial processing in dyslexia (in collaboration with Thomas Lachmann, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany)
- Effect of biliteracy on reading acquisition in Hindi and English language among dyslexics
- Development of attentional modulation of emotion
- Diagnostic markers of ADHD based on impairments in attentional processes (in collaboration with Prof. Narayanan Srinivasan, CBCS)
- Kar, B. R., Srinivasan, N., Nehabala, Y., & Nigam, R. (2018). Proactive and reactive control depends on emotional valence: A Stroop study with emotional expressions and words. Cognition & Emotion, 32, 325-340.
- Kar, B. R. & Kenderla, P.K. (2017). Working Memory and Executive Attention: Insights from Developmental Studies and Implications for Learning and Education. Journal of Indian Institute of Science.
- Singh, N.C., Cherodath, S., Sumathi, T. A., Kosera, R., Currawala, K., Kar, B. R., Oberoi, G. (2016). Reading skills in children provided simultaneous instruction in two distinct writing systems – insights from behaviour and neuroimaging. In, Peer, L. and Reid, G. (Eds.) Multilingualism, Literacy and Dyslexia – Breaking down barriers for educators London: Routledge
- Jain S. & Kar, B. R. (2014). Effect of cognitive aging on working memory consolidation. Psychological Studies, 59, 383-393.
- Dash, T. & Kar, B. R. (2014). Behavioural and ERP correlates of bilingual language control and general purpose inhibitory control: evidence based on the identity negative priming paradigm. Behavioural Neurology, 679706.
- Kar B. R. (2014). Learning disability: Issues and concerns with implications for social policy. In R. C. Tripathi and Yoganand Sinha (Eds), Social Policy in India: Searching for Psychological Coordinates. Springer.
- Kar, B. R. (Editor). (2013). Cognition and Brain Development: Converging evidences from various methodologies. Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Khare, V., Verma, A., Kar, B. R., Srinivasan, N. & Brysbeart, M. (2013). Bilingualism and the increased attentional blink effect: Evidence that the difference between bilinguals and monolinguals generalizes to different levels of second language proficiency, Psychological Research, 77, 728-737.
- Kar, B. R. & Srinivasan, N. (2013). Development of section and control. In B. R. Kar (Ed), Cognition and Brain Development: Converging evidences from various methodologies (pp. 11-32). Washington: American Psychological Association.
- Kar, B. R., Vijay, N., & Mishra, S. (2013). Development of cognitive and affective control networks and decision making. In V. S. Chandrasekhar Pammi and N. Srinivasan (Eds), Decision making: neural and behavioural approaches. Progress in Brain Research, 202, 347-368.
- Kar, B. R. & Kar, B. C. (2013). Cognitive assessment for the armed forces. In G. Kaur & M. K. Mandal (Eds.). Pentagon Press.
- Gupta, R. & Kar, B. R. (2012). Attention and memory biases as stable abnormalities among currently depressed and currently remitted individuals with Unipolar Depression. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 3:99.
- Dash, T. & Kar, B. R. (2012). Characterizing language proficiency in Hindi and English: Implications for bilingual research. International Journal of Mind, Brain and Cognition.
- Kar, B. R. (2012). Electrophysiological measurement: Insights about temporal dynamics of brain and cognition. In N. Srinivasan, P. N. Tandon, and R. C. Tripathi. Expanding Horizons of Mind Science(s). New York: Nova Science.
- Kar, B.R., Rao, S.L., Chandrmouli, B.A., & Thennarasu, K. (2011). Growth patterns of neuropsychological functions in Indian children. Frontiers in Psychology, 2:240.
- Gupta, R., Kar, B.R., & Srinivasan, N. (2011). Cognitive-motivational deficits in ADHD: Development of a classification system. Child Neuropsychology, 17, 67-81.
- Pal, A. K. & Kar, B. R. (2010). Auditory processing and phonological awareness among biliterate normally progressing readers and dyslexic readers. International Journal of Mind Brain and Cognition.
- Kar, B. R., Rao, S. L., Chandramouli, B. A., Thennarasu, K., & Satishchandra, P. (2010). Neuropsychological lateralization of brain dysfunction in children with mesial temporal sclerosis: A presurgical evaluation. Journal of Child Neurology, 25, 705-714.
- Gupta R. & Kar, B. R. (2010). Specific Cognitive Deficits in ADHD: A Diagnostic Concern in Differential Diagnosis. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 19, 778-786.
- Srinivasan, N., Kar, B. R., & Pandey, J. (Eds.). Advances in Cognitive Science: Volume 2, Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Kar, B. R. & Shukla, M. (2010). Effects of Remediation on Auditory Temporal Processing in dyslexia: An overview. In N. Srinivasan, B. R. Kar, & J.Pandey, (Eds). Advances in Cognitive Science: Volume 2, Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Posner, M. I. & Kar, B. R. (2010). Brain networks for attention and preparing for school subjects. In N. Srinivasan, B. R. Kar, & J. Pandey, (Eds.) Advances in Cognitive Science: Volume 2, Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Gupta, R., Kar, B. R., & Srinivasan, N. (2009). Development of Task Switching and Error Monitoring in Children. Behavioral and Brain functions, 5; 38.
- Gupta, R. & Kar, B. R. (2009). Development of attentional processes in children with ADHD and normally developing children. Progress in Brain Research: Attention, Vol. 176. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Kar, B. R., Rao, S. L., Chandramouli, B. A., Thennarasu, K. (2009). Clinical Validation of the NIMHANS Neuropsychological Battery for Children. Psychological Studies, 53, 271-277.
- Tripathi, N. & Kar, B. R. (2009). Simultaneous and successive processing in children with reading and writing difficulties. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 36, 83-93.
- Kar, B. R., Rao, S. L. & Chandramouli, B. A. (2008). Cognitive development in children with chronic protein energy malnutrition. Behavioral and Brain Functions, 4: 31.
- Gupta, R. & Kar, B. R. (2008). Interpretative bias in Unipolar depression. German Journal of Psychiatry, 11, 98-102.
- Khetrapal, N., Kar, B. R & Srinivasan, N. (2008). Development of Visuospatial Working Memory in the context of load and task difficulty. Psychological studies, 53, 170-174.
- Kar, B. R. & Tripathi, N. (2008). Cognitive Profiles of Children with Dyslexia. In N. Srinivasan, A. K. Gupta, & J. Pandey, (Eds.). Advances in Cognitive Science, Vol. 1, Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Tripathi, N. & Kar, B. R. (2008). Teacher’s perception of the learning related problems of children in school settings in Allahabad city. Thapa, K., Aalsvoort, G., & Pandey, J. (Eds.), Perspectives on Learning Disabilities in India: Current Practices and Prospects. Sage Publications, India.
- Agarwal, S. & Kar, B. R. (2007). Neuropsychological deficits in children with dyslexia. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 34, 2: 164-172.
- Kar, B. R., Rao, S. L., Chandramouli, B. A. Malnutrition and the developing mind. In A. Mallik (Ed), Child Development: Issues and Country Experiences. Hyderabad: ICFAI University Press.
- Gupta, R. & Kar, B. R. (2006). Specific cognitive dysfunction in children with Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: An overview. In U. Kumar and Swati Mukherjee (Eds). Recent developments in Psychology. New Delhi: DIPR.
- Shukla, M. & Kar, B. R. (2006). Neurophysiological correlates of remediation in dyslexia. In U. Kumar and Swati Mukherjee (Eds). Recent developments in Psychology. New Delhi: DIPR.
- Kar, B. R., Rao, S. L., Chandramouli, B. A. & Thennarasu, K. (2004). NIMHANS Neuropsychological Battery for Children- Manual. Bangalore: NIMHANS publication division.