- PhD: Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad (affiliated with JNU)
- M. Sc.: Department of Biochemistry, University of Allahabad, Allahabad.
- B. Sc.: University of Allahabad, Allahabad.
Research Interests: Learning and Memory, Alzheimer’s disease.
- Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, University of California Irvine (UCI), Irvine, California, USA.
- Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (UCHSC), Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
1. Sahoo B, Sharma SK (2022). Sulfotransferase activity contributes to long-term
potentiation and long-term memory. Learn Mem. 2022 29:155-159.
2. Sharma, SK (2021) COVID-19 and dementia. Annals of Neurosciences 28:101-104
3. Pandey K, Sharma SK (2020) Activity- and memory training-induced acetylation of α-tubulin in the hippocampus. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 171:107226.
4. Singh D, Agrawal A, Singal CMS, Pandey HS, Seth P, Sharma SK (2020) Sinomenine inhibits amyloid beta-induced astrocyte activation and protects neurons against indirect toxicity. Mol Brain. 13:30.
5. Arora T, Caviedes P, Sharma SK (2020) Effects of a tripeptide on mitogen-activated protein kinase and glycogen synthase kinase activation in a cell line derived from the foetal hippocampus of a trisomy 16 mouse: an animal model of Down syndrome. Neurotox Res. 37:714-723.
6. Kamboj K, Jana S, Sharma SK (2019) Mechanisms of protein kinase C-induced sustained activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase in the hippocampus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 520:453-458.
7. Pandey K, Sharma KP, Sharma SK (2015) Histone deacetylase inhibition facilitates massed pattern-induced synaptic plasticity and memory. Learn Mem. 22:514-8. This research article was highlighted in “The Telegraph”
8. Sharma KP, Singh JB, Sharma SK (2014) Mechanisms of cAMP-induced sustained activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase in the hippocampus. Neuroreport. 25:470-4.
9. Maharana C, Sharma KP, Sharma SK (2013) Feedback mechanism in depolarization-induced sustained activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase in the hippocampus. Sci Rep. 3:1103.
10. Shukla SM, Sharma SK (2011) Sinomenine inhibits microglial activation by Aβ and confers neuroprotection. J Neuroinflammation. 8:117.
11. Pandey K, Sharma SK (2011) Activity-dependent acetylation of alpha tubulin in the hippocampus. J Mol Neurosci. 45:1-4.
12. Mishra S, Mishra M, Seth P, Sharma SK (2011) Tetrahydrocurcumin confers protection against amyloid β-induced toxicity. Neuroreport. 22:23-7.
13. Maharana C, Sharma KP, Sharma SK (2010) Depolarization induces acetylation of histone H2B in the hippocampus. Neuroscience. 167:354-60.
14. Sharma SK (2010) Protein acetylation in synaptic plasticity and memory. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 34:1234-40.
15. Sharma S (2010) Hepatocyte growth factor in synaptic plasticity and Alzheimer’s disease. ScientificWorldJournal. 10:457-61.
16. Ye X, Shobe JL, Sharma SK, Marina A, Carew TJ (2008) Small G proteins exhibit pattern sensitivity in MAPK activation during the induction of memory and synaptic facilitation in Aplysia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 105:20511-6.
17. Sharma SK, Sherff CM, Stough S, Hsuan V, Carew TJ (2006) A tropomyosin-related kinase B ligand is required for ERK activation, long-term synaptic facilitation, and long-term memory in aplysia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 103:14206-10.
18. Sutton MA, Bagnall MW, Sharma SK, Shobe J, Carew TJ (2004) Intermediate-term memory for site-specific sensitization in aplysia is maintained by persistent activation of protein kinase C. J Neurosci. 24:3600-9.
19. Sharma SK, Carew TJ (2004) The roles of MAPK cascades in synaptic plasticity and memory in Aplysia: facilitatory effects and inhibitory constraints. Learn Mem. 11:373-8
20. Sharma SK, Sherff CM, Shobe J, Bagnall MW, Sutton MA, Carew TJ (2003) Differential role of mitogen-activated protein kinase in three distinct phases of memory for sensitization in Aplysia. J Neurosci. 23:3899-907.
21. Sharma SK, Bagnall MW, Sutton MA, Carew TJ (2003). Inhibition of calcineurin facilitates the induction of memory for sensitization in Aplysia: requirement of mitogen-activated protein kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 100:4861-6.
22. Purcell AL, Sharma SK, Bagnall MW, Sutton MA, Carew TJ (2003) Activation of a tyrosine kinase-MAPK cascade enhances the induction of long-term synaptic facilitation and long-term memory in Aplysia. Neuron. 37:473-84.
23. Sharma SK, Wallace BG (2003) Lithium inhibits a late step in agrin-induced AChR aggregation. J Neurobiol. 54:346-57.
24. Sharma SK, Brock DA, Ammann RR, DeShazo T, Khosla M, Gomer RH, Weeks G (2002) The cdk5 homologue, crp, regulates endocytosis and secretion in dictyostelium and is necessary for optimum growth and differentiation. Dev Biol. 247:1-10.
25. Sharma SK, Carew TJ (2002) Inclusion of phosphatase inhibitors during Western blotting enhances signal detection with phospho-specific antibodies. Anal Biochem. 307:187-9.
26. Sharma SK, Das MR (2002) Enhanced expression of heterotrimeric GTP-binding protein subunits in Zajdela ascitic hepatoma. Indian J Biochem Biophys. 39:148-54.
27. Sharma SK, Michaelis C, Lee KY, Wang JH, Weeks G (1999) Binding and catalytic properties of the Cdc2 and Crp proteins of Dictyostelium. Eur J Biochem. 260:603-8.
Sharma, SK, “Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Memory” in “Expanding Horizons of the Mind Science(s), edited by PN Tandon, RC Tripathi and N Srinivasan, published by Nova Science Publishers, Inc. New York.